Music Lessons 8+ year old
|Approximately 18 months - 2 years|
|1 set per level (2 levels)|
|Yes – Piano or keyboard (minimun 49 note keyboard)|
We recommend beginners of 8 years and older start in Piano Keys Course. A full range of musical skills will be developed and there is quite an emphasis on playing piano.
We recommend your child learns in a small group where he can participate in the range of activities required to develop this broader range of musical skills than he otherwise would in traditional private lessons.
Piano Keys Course
During this course your child to develop a set of musical skills essential for any budding musician including:-
- Reading - notes and rhythm
- Aural skills - by ear recognition of notes and phrases. This essential musical skill is often overlooked especially in private lessons where it is difficult to teach on a one to one basis. Music is a aural art and a well trained ear is essential to becoming a competent musician.
- Keyboard Harmony - your child will learn to play chords that form the underlying basis or harmony of music. Chord playing assist in developing skills such as transposition, composition, improvisation and playing by memory.
- Pattern recognition - music is built using patterns. Your child is taught to recognise musical patterns and this aids in memorisation.
- Transposing - is playing known pieces in other keys or positions on the piano. From the early stages your child will transpose.
- Playing the music rather than only what is exactly written on the page. We encourage our students to play the music not the just the notes. eg if the piece is jazzy then we play it with the rhythms of the jazzy style. In the beginning this concept is as simple as what we play with the right hand we play with the left hand even though it is not written out!
- Theory - recognition and writing of musical notes and symbols
Your child will be able do Foundation of Music Education exams throughout the course. These exams are a fantastic way to consolidate learning and offer a positive exam experience.
On completion of Piano Keys, it's on to Creative Keys to layer on top a whole new level of music skills and understanding. Come along to see just how much fun your child can have learning music.
Private lessons are one - to - one lessons. They are suitable for students over 7 years* and adults who generally prefer a more private learning environment.
Parents are welcome to accompany their child to the lessons or alternatively enjoy a well earned break and read a magazine while waiting.
Make sure you are around at the end of the lessons as your child's teacher will like to have a quick chat to fill you in on the week's progress and what your child is to focus on during the following week.
It is important to 'click' with a teacher. If for some reason you don't quite 'gel' please let us know. We're sure to have someone just right for you!
Come along a see just how good are teachers are and how much you will enjoy learning to play at Forte.